Where to start..
I think I’ll start with a thank you to all of you for your support. It really meant a lot. It sure helps.
There was good and bad about the whole thing. I’ll start with
- No stomach pain or cramps with the prep
- The prep didn’t taste horrible at all as I’d expected
- I never felt hunger which is very weird for me, but a gift through this at the same time
- I got a few hours sleep the night of prep
- It didn’t cause too much damage, since it’s mostly liquid. (Sorry for the tmi).
- I made it through the prep and to the hospital with no accidents. That’s a definite worry with the prep. So double win there.
- The nurses knew very little to nothing about some of the medications I’m on, They should know about them
- The staff knows nothing about urostomies so I had to make sure things were looked after there. Frustrating
- The Dr. wouldn’t listen to me. He flat out refused to give me Profinal that I was promised to knock me right out
- I wasn’t finished discussing it or other questions I had with him, but he just turned away and ordered the nurse to proceed. Even Mr. CrankyPants was there saying knock her out and no response
- I warned them I don’t sedate well but as is usually my experience they don’t believe me
- As a result I woke up during the procedure crying in pain. I remember them saying we’re almost done. I sure hope they gave me more sedation. I’m not lying that has now traumatized me further. I almost died in another proceedure in the past because docs wouldn’t believe I wasn’t frozen or sedated even though they had done both. I was screaming in pain and they wouldn’t listen until again Mr. CrankyPants spoke up and pointed out my dangerously high blood pressure. Why weren’t they watching?! So you can see this being one of many other experiences of the like why I have severe anxiety with anything medical. This brought that all back. I even told the Dr. I’d been abused and he didn’t listen.
- They couldn’t have picked a more painful place to put the IV. I’m still in a lot of pain from it today.
- In the recovery room. They didn’t offer me any food or drink and I had gone almost 48 hours without. I was sick and dizzy as hell and they sent me packing that way. It was sub-par care at best. Kind of awful
- I have an inflamed esophagus and acid reflux. (A total shock to me as I’ve not had symptoms)
- I have stomach ulcers. (Nice of my GP to assume my stomach pain came from ibs without testing me)
- I have internal hemorrhoids that nothing can be done with at the moment since they aren’t swelled. Having said that, to eventually get something done, I have to go through a surgeon and be awake for the procedure. I’m sure you can imagine what I think of that right now.
- I had a number of biopsies done. They are looking for micro colitis, (which is when it doesn’t show up in the scope), celiac, cancer and I hope because I asked for it they are also looking for lupus and rheumatoid since, I’m diagnosed with it but it doesn’t show up in my blood work. Who knows if the Dr. will have actually listened to me and complied though
- Everything else looked good and clear. So minus what did show, I still at this point have no idea what’s wrong ,and there is something very wrong. I don’t want to have these diseases but I really need answers. I’m still losing weight and I shouldn’t be. I’m at 102 pounds at 5 ‘1. That’s underweight. I still can’t stop the frequency. That’s not normal.
- So in two weeks time I have to follow up with my GP who doesn’t even know I had these procedures done to get the results of the biopsies. I will also be getting the results of my blood work I had done through the GP a couple of weeks ago.
I’m glad for now that it’s over with, but I wish I had more answers. I wish I could storm into that hospital and give them a piece of my mind. I wish I could teach the medical world about the things I live with like my urostomy. You know the nurse didn’t even know what Enbrel is?!
So today is the day after my scopes. My gut hurts a bit, my throat way down is tender but nothing unbearable. I’m just resting. The laxatives are still working some so, I’m staying home.
Have you had these kind of scopes? What was your experience?
Over & Out,
Tomorrow is prep day for my colonoscopy and endoscopy on Tues. I’m so so stressed. The thought of going without food, having to take heavy duty laxatives, the pain it will cause me. Uggggh! Why,why can’t they find an easier on patients way to do these tests.
How the hell am I supposed to take all my medications on an empty stomach without getting sick?! You can’t get sick because you need to keep the laxatives down. I can’t take Gravol. I’m allergic and I forgot to get a Zofran script in time.
This is going to be pure torture. It causes the very thing I’m trying to stop.
I need answers. I need these tests, I just can’t wrap my mind around the prep.
I’ve been though prep once before that was actually even worse than this one. It was for having my bladder removed. I hurled because I couldn’t stomach the shit load of antibiotics they made me take after two days of fasting and emptying out. Two days prior to the surgery, then the day of, and 5 days after of nothing by mouth. 9 days I went without food or fluids other then IV.
This I have to fast for tomorrow, and I won’t be able to eat until sometime after the tests on Tuesday. If all goes as planned, the tests are at 9:30 am thankfully.
Tomorrow I’m allowed to have clear fluids. I’m stocked up on banana Popsicles, Jello, chicken broth (Although I’m allergic to garlic & onion and chicken broth has both. So for that only if I’m really desperate). And I have lots of Gatorade.
I’ve been given permission to take Ativan before I go to the hospital since my fear is extreme. In fact so extreme with medical procedures that it will trump sedation. Ativan does nothing for me when this fear hits. I will take it anyway before I go and again while I’m there waiting.
I’m also being put right to sleep because of the above. Sedation won’t work for me. I’m grateful they’re willing to put me to sleep. I don’t want to know or be aware.
So wish me luck. I’m going to be one hangry, scared person for the next couple of days. Poor Mr. CrankyPants. He’s going to be home to help me. There is no way I’d be able to look after our needy dog while going through this. I also won’t be able to drive myself.
Tomorrow is our family day holiday so Mr. CrankyPants is home. Tues. he’s taken a day off work to take me to the hospital and look after things after.
I’m scared too that the diagnosis is going to be what I suspect. The other side is that I’m scared things are so bad and there won’t be answers. Sigh. They will be doing biopsies too; With those I’ll have to wait a week or so for answers, but anything they find with the scopes, I’ll know as soon as I wake up enough.
Gahh I want out!
Scared & Stressed,